So, here in South Africa, we celebrate Christmas in the summer time. There’s no frost, or warming your hands by the fire, or cuddling under blankets. It’s crazy hot, sticky and gross. But here are some of the things I love to do in the summer holidays!
If you are like me, and hate being sticky and then covered in beach sand, you can make use of the beautiful public pools which we have access to here in Durban. The entry fee is super reasonable (think R10) and you can stay as long as you like.
- Riding bicycles on the beach.
One of my favourite places to go is The Bike And Bean. You hire a bike for R50 an hour, and ride Sally ride! When you’re finished, you can come back and enjoy a coffee or a drink with a beautiful view of the ocean! Bliss.
- Picnic at The Botanical Gardens.
It’s shady because of the trees and there’s tons of space to lay out a picnic blanket and chill hard. There’s also a lovely little café for those who don’t feel like doing any food prep. It’s a great spot for meeting up with the family you won’t be seeing on Christmas day for some pre-Christmas fun.
- Nature walks
There are a few great places near Durban
- Hawaan Forest Walk Umhlanga: Entry is restricted, but walks can be arranged via the Breakers Hotel.
- Mangrove Swamp Walk next to the Umgeni River: This is only open on weekends.
- Giba Gorge: There is a R35 entry fee for runners/hikers to use the trails.
- Krantzkloof Nature Reserve: There is a R40 entry fee for adults, R20 for children. You can chill at the picnic site or go on a trial. Make sure to pack tons of water and SUNBLOCK!!!!
- Honey Trails: Open from 7.30 am every Saturday morning until 11 am or until all back home. Other times can be booked by special arrangement. Visit https://honeytrails.co.za/ for more info.
- The beach/promenade with your furry friends
- Have ice cream anywhere.
Let me know if you’ve done any of these this festive season. You can share pics with me on my social media – @cassieraesongbird